I find there are some key differences in those who age and those who never seem to age. After all, who wants to feel older? No one I know. When dealing with aging, we are all fighting to stay young. There are practical things you can do to look and feel younger.
Choosing Healthy Steps to Stay Younger
Those who I know that seem to reverse the aging process are adamant and intentional about doing so. They are actively choosing healthier habits that have the most impact on their health.
1. Healthy nutrition is key for everyone who is trying to stay as young as possible. Without eating healthy, you feel older. Not only is eating healthy good for your external body, but it has an even larger impact on the things you cannot see (heart, arteries, muscles, bones, etc..). If you ignore this simple step, you are missing the big picture of what healthy aging is.
It doesn’t matter what your body looks like on the outside, if you are not taking care of your nutrition, you are aging more rapidly on the inside.
2. Appropriate exercise is the next crucial step to taking care of your body. So many people view all exercise as the same, but it’s not. When you are doing exercise that is not right for you, your body can be over-stressed or not get the full benefit of something that is wonderful for you. Exercise can be enjoyable, creative, unique, and challenging all at the same time. The key is your focus and your mental approach to it. Why is exercise important to you, personally? When you can answer that question, you will find your motivation for exercise. That should be your focus. Don’t focus on the exercise portion, focus on where you are going and why you are trying to get there. Very few people enjoy traveling long distances, but they do it because they have a destination (goal) they are trying to get to. It’s a journey that can be achieved with time, focus, and direction.
What is Healthy Aging and when does it start?
It’s important to realize that healthy aging starts right now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Everything you are doing today has an impact on your physical health tomorrow. That is probably not something you want to think about if you aren’t following a healthy way of life, but it’s not too late to change it. You can still get control of your health and head in the right direction.
Healthy Aging Facts
We know that what we do has a direct impact on our health. An unhealthy diet increases our risk of developing a disability when we get older by 24%*. Smoking has an impact of 26%* and low or no physical activity has the largest impact of all, 76% chance of developing a disability as you get older*. The reality is that we need to be active and eat healthy in order to stay healthy. When we avoid these things, we are more likely to develop a disability and you will then lose the ability to have as much of a positive impact on your health.
What can I do to age healthy?
1. Every week for the month of September we are going to share our favorite healthy aging tips. Join our newsletter so you don’t miss anything.
2. Get on a healthy eating plan. We have an Registered Dietitian that can develop a custom nutrition program for you and help you get on the right track.
3. Enroll in one of our fitness programs. We have several fitness programs that can help you achieve your fitness goals with guidance, education, and results. Considering physical activity cuts your disability risk by 76%, this is a very important step for you.