I know it’s the time of year when you want to lose weight, but do you know the cost? When I say “cost” I’m not talking about money.
Many people strive to lose weight at the beginning of the year. They strive to accomplish goals they have dreamed of for years, and hope to achieve a size they haven’t been in for years. Since it’s been so long since you’ve been at the weight you hope to be, I want to give you some insight into the journey.
- You are going to face some resistance from family members, friends, or spouses. Don’t get me wrong, they will be supportive, but often only to a point. If you start losing “too much” weight, you will either start hearing comments, find offering you all the wrong food, or asking you to skip your workouts. It may be one person or several people, but be prepared.
- Some people just won’t take you seriously. Maybe you have been down this road before and failed, but some will just believe you are going through your normal weight loss/weight gain cycle. You may not always have the support you need, but you do need to persevere through it. Have a personal trainer or a supportive friend/family member to get you through the tough times.
- Injuries and various medical conditions will happen to many people. I don’t wish it on anyone, but when you begin exercising for the first time in years, you are going to stress the body in ways that are not common. The stresses you place on your joints and tendons can cause pain, and you need to make sure you are not damaging your body. There is a right time and a wrong time to keep pushing. One thing that I am proud of is my Medical Exercise Specialist certification. I have been able to identify some problems before they became too serious for many clients. Prevention really is the best way to go with this. Be alert and be aware. If you are having problems, give me a call. I’ll be glad to try to help you and/or direct you to the proper medical professional. If you are worried about something like this happening to you because of a family history or previous injuries, get in touch with me before you get started.
- You will find that you are your own worst enemy sometimes. I call it self-sabotage. You start seeing results, only to find yourself getting uncomfortable. Maybe it’s because your clothes start looking different or maybe it’s because you are start to get attention and comments/compliments. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, there is a good chance you will do things to slow down your progress.
- You are going to have to face some obstacles you have either never faced or haven’t faced in years. You are going to have to overcome these obstacles if you want to succeed. The truth is, every time you overcome an obstacle, you will get stronger. Every time you fall victim to your obstacle, you will have to try that much harder the next time. If you fall down, get back up and try again. You will have to overcome it to be successful. Just don’t give up.
Don’t start the weight loss process without being mentally prepared. This is a journey and you need to know what you are going to face before you get blindsided by it. If you need help, give me a call at 281-500-6055.
Feel free to comment below.