Swine flu is on the verge of becoming pandemic. I don’t remember seeing anything spread this quickly before. Since gyms are the second most common places where infections spread, I felt it was important to share some important information with you that will help protect you.
Behind hospitals, gyms are the second most common place to catch infections from other people. It’s all too common for people to sneeze and cough in the gym. They often touch machines, mats, free weight, and pieces of cardio equipment that you end up touching later on as well. So how can you protect yourself?
If you are in the gym, you should:
- Clean equipment with sanitary wipes whenever you start to use them.
- If you wear workout gloves, wash/sanitize them when you get home.
- Wash your water bottles often.
- Get plenty of sleep in order to keep your immune system strong.
- Take anti-oxidants/vitamins in order to boost your immune system.
- Make sure that the mats you are using are clean or have been cleaned recently. There are a lot of dirty mats in gyms that trap germs.
- Drink plenty of water and stay well hydrated.
The CDC also recommends:
- Always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and dispose of it in the trash can.
- Wash your hands with soap and water or alcohol after you sneeze.
- Avoid touching your eyes or mouth, because this is how germs spread.
- If someone is sick, try to limit contact with them.
- If you are sick, stay home and limit your contact with other people.